Sign up for Exclusive Claims Career Tips

Best Insurance Claims Adjuster training (Even If You’re Completely New)

Insurance Adjuster Training

Types of Adjusters & the Training They Receive

It’s no secret…
There are ambition individuals who are planning to become insurance claims adjuster. And here’s why:

THEY WILL MAKE A LOT OF MONEY (How Much Do Insurance Adjusters Make?).

It’s not easy to become an adjuster, but it’s well worth it. If you think that you have the skills required to become a professional adjuster great! You are going to enjoy your new income.

This article will cover all types of insurance claims adjuster training  programs and certifications you should get to become an adjuster.

But first…
Before you can apply for any license or certification, it is important that you take your state-approved course. For most states, the required course is 40 hours. This is known as a pre-license course.

The following 16 states don’t require a pre-license course for the general adjuster exam:

  1. Colorado
  2. D.C.
  3. Illinois
  4. Iowa
  5. Kansas
  6. Maryland
  7. Massachusetts (must take Resident Appraiser Course for Auto)
  8. Missouri
  9. Nebraska
  10. New Jersey
  11. N. Dakota
  12. Ohio
  13. S. Dakota
  14. Tennessee
  15. Virginia
  16. Wisconsin
  17. Pennsylvania (must take appraiser and Public Adjuster License)

There are different types of training programs available and as an applicant, you have to apply for the program that you are most comfortable with. Here we have the list of some of the common training programs in which you can apply and get the required training.

Property and Casualty Adjuster Training

Second, after you’re license you need to gain experience by attending trainings or finding an entry-level role. I want you to keep in mind that TRAINING is NOT the same as CERTIFICATION.

The benefit of participating in the training program is that you will learn all the basics of property and casualty training related to the tasks that adjusters have to manage.

The benefit of participating in certification course is so that you can work claims for certain carriers.

In fact, it most cases it’s MANDATORY!

For example, it is mandatory for you to take certifications to adjust claims for State Farm (Big Red), USAA, and Liberty Mutual.

Insurance Claims Adjuster Training

The good news is during training you will learn a lot about your job. You will get training on how to work with different companies and clients, methods you should use for the collection of information as well as how you have to present your information.

During training, you will learn how to make the right judgments based on the available information. It is your job to assure that the policyholder is indemnified for the losses covered by their policy.

There are many adjusters who prefer to work independently and it is important for them to get the right training since they often work with different companies at the same time on the contract basis.

Independent adjusters (IA) have to assure that they meet the requirements of all the companies to assure that they can earn the required compensation.

This will also help IAs stay deployed longer.

Another reason to attend training is adjusters are taught how to deal with the tasks associated with closing a claim. This includes all the information and reports submitted at the right time.

Time management is very important because you cannot be late with the report at any cost. When you will apply for the independent adjuster training program you will learn to manage different tasks at the same time.

Get the following training:

  1. Rope & Harness (HAAG)
  2. Construction Materials (Habitat 4 Humanity, Lowe’s, Home Depot) – FREE
  3. Auto Parts (repair shop, auto service centers)
  4. Customer service
  5. Property adjuster training (outside adjusting)
  6. Desk adjuster training (inside adjusting)
  7. Drone training (coming soon)
  8. Xactimate level I & II
  9. Audatex

Most trainings you can take at anytime. The certifications must be taken through a firm or carrier.

There are many certification to get to best set yourself up to become an adjuster. Here are a few:

  1. State Farm Auto
  2. State Farm Property
  3. State Farm Estimatics
  4. USAA
  5. NICTA (Fraud Training – 2 Needed)
  6. National Flood Insurance Program (experience required)

Sign up with a firm like Renfroe, or The BestIRS for upcoming certification classes

Public Adjuster Training

The job of the public adjuster is to work with the applicant and assure that they provide the authentic information to the insurance company to assure that they will get the coverage that they deserve.

Training for public adjusters is different because they don’t perform the same functions as an independent or staff adjuster.

The good news is… they learn more than the independent adjusters and thus get paid more.

Training typically consists how to identify property damage.

Just like the IA, PAs also need to take a pre-license course.  Check with your state to know the requirements. Almost every state requires a course. It is typically 40 hours. Most states also require adjusters to train under a current PA that has 3-4 years experience.  This is something else you will have to find on your own.

PA training primarily consists of work on your communication skills.

PLEASE NOTE: If you choose to become a PA you will want to maintain a primary job as it will take a while to build your PA clients.

You will have to work with different clients. You will learn how to handle different types of cases related to the property damage.

Contact Metro Public Adjusters for more information on training.

Training Costs Money

While you will make a lot of money in this field, you will need to invest in yourself by paying to attend training. Costs for training ranges from $25 – $1500.

Don’t let that scare.

There are free training programs offered by firms like Pilot, Worley, and even the carriers themselves if they need to do it.

While some training is free, the cost to get to the training and your accommodations while you are there will NOT be free. However, since you are independent you will be able to write these costs off on your taxes!

Bottom Line

There are several schools, training institutions and online sources that are providing the training courses.  Get hands-on training and practical experience that will enhance your confidence level and exposure.

If you do not have enough time to attend the regular classes. The best way for them to manage the training session is by taking the online courses, if available. You have to assure that you schedule the class according to your own working schedule. You will even get the access to the recorded classes so that you will not miss a single training session. The course is commonly completed in limited time. Make sure that you select the trustworthy and accepted online course which has best insurance claims adjuster training so that you can have the authentic certification when you will apply for the license.

18 Responses

  1. I really appreciate you providing this information. I’m in the process of enrolling to become an independent adjuster.
    Thank you

  2. Thank you Ebahi! This is very helpful. I’m taking a licensing class in Dallas soon with a friend, then we will need to find training … and hopefully work! 🙂

    Really appreciate your help.

  3. Dear sir /Madam
    subject: Motor vehicle accident damage adjuster/assessor
    i write asking if it is possable to enroll for this course on line . i am a qualified auto body Technician was trained as an apprentice for 4years 3months and 24 days .after graduation as an apprentice i workered for 10years as a body repair Technician,then later joined a teaching career in adult education for a year while i was lecturing in auto body repair . my request is can i be enrolled as an adjuster or assessor in order to have a recognised qualification since iam currently working as an assessor.

    1. It means to set back right after loss. For example, loss a laptop – get the same exact laptop back.

      1. Hello are there any courses that focus on being a Desk Adjuster? I am interested in the course. I have my license but need help with learning the steps for Desk Adjusting.

  4. Thank you for sending me this link. Great advice and very informative. I just purchased the state farm estimatics training video!

  5. In case you are enrolling in the flood adjuster certification course of NFIP Flood Boot Camp, then you do not need to follow any kind of strict rules & regulations. During the training sessions, you can dress as per your comfort levels. When it comes to the day of inspection, then you need to consider casual business dress and it is a collared shirt and khakis.

  6. For getting flood adjuster authority, the interested ones need to become certified. It’s five-day training for such a certification.

  7. Thanks so much Ebahi, the information you provide helps a great deal. I have so many notes from watching your YouTube videos. For someone who didn’t know the first thing about an IA and was scared and nervous after obtaining my license, you have made it more acceptable for me. Thank you for your direction and honesty!

  8. I live in Massachusetts, am a Disabled American Veteran and am interested in a Career as an Insurance Adjustor. What steps do I take to get started?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Easy to Follow Information to Help You Change Careers

Problems Becoming An Adjuster? These one-of-a-kind blogs were made by adjusters for adjusters. Especially, new adjusters who eagerly want to enjoy life by becoming an adjuster. 

"Becoming a claims adjuster is life-changing. It's no wonder it's been a well-kept career secret for centuries. My job is easy now. It's such a lucrative career and I love helping people."
Insurance adjuster training staff
Mari Clark
Major Adjuster